Measuring Blinds & Shades
How to measure:
- Use a metal measuring tape to ensure accuracy.
- Round measurements down to the nearest 1/8".
- Measure each window separately. They could vary enough to require differnt size treatments.
- Note which measurement is the width (list first) and which is the length (listed second). It is very common to mix up measurements.
- Choose inside mount or outside mount.
Inside mount: Inside mounted shades are contained within the window frame. It can provide a finished, built- in look without covering any molding. It is also suggested if additional window treatments will be layered on top.
- Requires at least 2" frame depth for most treatments.
- Check for any obstacles like handles or cranks that could interfere.
- Your window should be square to work properly and hang well. Check by measuring diagonally in both directions and that the variance isn't over 1/2".
Outside mount: Outside mounted blinds or shades are mounted on the wall or molding. They can be used to make a window appear larger, hide less appealing windows, or maximize privacy by eliminating light gaps.
- Requires at 2" of flat surface above your window on the frame for mounting the brackets.
Measuring Inside Mount